Monday, May 9, 2011

Travel

This is one industry whereby there is fun, which comes along with depression or more like stress. Though it is a known fact that every job comes with a downside as well.... I just feel that the downside for this industry is a bit too heavy......

It's a 24/7 industry. Literally. You get calls and orders for any time of the day and everyday.... It really gets tiring at times [this is just my viewpoint]..... Moreover, the bad thing is that majority of the times, we are the middleman and being that, is a BAD BAD thing... You receive calls on your right, and before you hang up, your left is already dialing up another number... Guests call you for vehicles,You check the location of the vehicle, you get calls for missing guests and it's a never ending cycle....

The worse thing is that we are the ones who always have to bear the brunt... Just because we are in direct contact with guests on one side and agents on the other.....

LAST MINUTE=oh this is one word an hating so much... There are lotsa last minute jobs. I still cant forget how horridly I was awoke yesterday, getting a call from the agent to tell me that the guests are already on the Bus from Malaysia to Singapore. The next thing I knew, my Sunday vanished with me making all last minute arrangements for the group, from Vehicle to Guide to Meal bookings....

On the other side, there are lotsa people entering this industry and despite all the grumbling above, I can totally relate to the interest of joining this industry. You meet lotsa different type of guests and despite the nasty ones, there are the nice ones, you would talk sweetly to you, patiently wait for the vehicles without making a big hoo-haa and at the end of their trip, give you a call to say Thank You before departing = these people are the reason that there is a smile on our faces at the end of the day.

Other than that, it is the nonstop endless stories that we get to share with others at the end of the day. I remember my Dad telling us his stories and truthfully, before getting into this line, I didn't really had much interest in them. However, after I started working in this line, the interest in listening to his stories grew and its fun to hear cause we get to listen and learn from the experience of tourists in our home country, things to learn on how to behave when we step into the shoes of a tourist in the future... I think the most interesting story I hear and feel is spooky and scary at the same time is the story of a newly wed couple who went onboard a Cruise and they didn't return... The vehicle waited 3 hours but they didn't show up at the Cruise Centre. We called the hotel numerous times and the guests had not checked-in even till 11pm that night... They didn't even show up for their Departure back home..... No idea as to what happened to the Couple.

Ok, it feels damn nice to have let out all the above thoughts from my system... Feel so free right now.. and Damn the weather .... I just bathed and within 30 minutes, am feeling so icky and sticky......

No comments: